Friday 3 April 2015

Through The Looking Glass at A Vintage Journey Challenge blog


It's time for our second challenge over at AVJ and this time its the lovely Julia who is hosting. 

Julia has chosen "Through The Looking Glass" as our monthly challenge and here's what she had to say
"Let's make a project involving glass (acetate) or mirrors (metal sheet), perhaps a window or a clock face, a hand held mirror or glass bottle. Tim has lots of Idea-ology products and dies that would be just the thing for this challenge!"

Our sponsor is Country View Crafts and the randomly chosen winner will receive a £20 pound gift voucher to spend on their online store, which has the most amazing stocks, particularly of Tim Holtz and there's always free postage for those who are resident in the UK.


The challenge theme conjured up something "Alice in Wonderland"  in my mind and you can see below my project, using all things Tim Holtz.

























 To create my shadow box I recycled cardboard frame and packaging from a TH Sizzix die. I then took some card, which I embossed using Tim's  Wood Embossing folder. This was inked with Gathered Twigs, Vintage Photo and Rusty Hinge DI. I also used Gathered Twigs Distress Marker in the deeper areas of the wood, which heaped create that knotted effect. I adhered the embossed piece to the package frame as well as some acetate, which was my "glass" and proceeded to stamp images from Tim's Spring Has Sprung SA Stamp Set (Hare) and his Tiny Things stamp set. ( Hat, Clock and Teacup/Saucer)


 The fussy cut stamped images were inked using Distress Markers, namely Barn Door, Broken China and Scattered Straw.  The butterfly and flowers are new releases from CHA 2015. I love the butterfly duo, it's great to cut the butterflies out and then to emboss them. The flowers are from Tim's SA Flower Garden set and you will see later on that I  3D decoupaged them for added depth.


 The recycled cardboard frame was smooshed through Mowed Lawn, Broken China and Pickled Raspberry Distress Paints. I liked the marbled effect that Tim had achieved on his March tag and wanted to try it on the cardboard, which has a covering of Kraft paper. It worked really well as you can see below. 
Using the script stamp from Tim's SA "Letters to Santa" stamp set I used my Distress embossing ink and Verdigris Antiquities Powder on one side and Gold on the other.


 The florals were inked using Spiced Marmalade and Barn Door Distress Markers, the leaves were inked with Cracked Pistachio DM.
The butterfly was blended with Picked Raspberry, Mowed Lawn and Broken China DI's then spritzed with water. An Idea-Ology Pen nib and word band complete the look.


Thank You so much for dropping in and if you can please leave a comment and I will get back to you. 
I hope that you can join in with our fabulous monthly challenge and you never know you may even win our randomly chosen prize or pin worthy blog badge. 

For more inspiration from my DT Roomie's please click here. 

Huge Hugs


post signature

25 comments:

  1. This is SO colorful and fun Annie! love the frame, the recycled acetate, the fun bunny and woodgrain background - thank you so much for creating for my Through the Looking glass challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful shadow box Annie, love how you've incorporated the Alice In Wonderland theme with Julia's prompt! Thanks for the great inspiration and for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great project Annie. I love your take on the theme. Those colors are fantastic and who doesn't love that rabbit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant interpretation of the challenge Annie, love this gorgeous colourful make!! Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnificent take on Through the Looking Glass. I love the the different textures and techniques you used to create it too. Fabulous flowers with stunning colours. Have a nice weekend. Hugs Mum xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully inventive Annie, I love the wooden plank effect and it contrasts beautifully with the gorgeous coloured and stamped frame.
    Have a very Happy Easter.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant piece Annie! Your colours are so vibrant and I just love the sunken scene behind the glass! Such a creative interpretation of the theme! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A stunning project, super Alice details and scene you created.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! How clever to create a shadow box out of the recycled packaging. I've used the plastic part but never thought to create a shadow box. Love that vibrant background too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love this wonderful "Alice" shadow box! The colors are so exciting and I just love every little detail. The embossed panel and all that great texture is awesome! Love it! Hugs and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Alice in Wonderland and your interpretation of Julia's challenge is just fabulous! The colours are gorgeous, I love the rabbit and the butterfly and the flowers are just perfect as finishing touches! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE seeing the rabbit here, but that frame is gorgeous! The colors and textures are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely combinations....it gives a happy feel Annie!
    Happy Easter, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fantastic interpretation Annie - just love the wonderfully colourfully frame and great scene. Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a glorious Wonderland shadowbox, Annie - the rainbow colours are so much fun, and I love the woodgrain background. Brilliant bunny, flowers and butterfly!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Annie, love your wooden plank it suits your rabbit so perfectly along with this months theme. Your frame is a beautiful contrast of bright colours.
    Have a lovely weekend, Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is gorgeous Annie - really fabulous colours and a great result. Happy Easter my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  18. So love this clever and gorgeous project Annie! The woodgrain effect behind the white rabbit and the vibrant flowers on the frame are genius! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning project! Colors are so rich and vibrant! Stunning work! Happy Easter BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Annie, this is Fantastic! I LOVE how you took the Alice in Wonderland trail with Julia's Through the Looking Glass theme :) This is Amazing! Love the colors, love the images, LOVE your use of Tim's new Flower Garden images :) I just LOVE everything about this! I would not have known you made this entirely out of re-used packaging, Annie! You've up-cycled everything to a most becoming level :) Such a wonderful inspiration project!! Happy Easter!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful shadow box Annie, love all your beautiful vibrant colours and the Alice In Wonderland theme is perfect for Julia's prompt! Thanks so much for sharing your inspiring project!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! The woodgrain and the fabulous vivid colours you have used for the surround are spectacular! Of course the mad March Hare and his watch are a winner in my book!! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow - I LOVE THIS!! Your colors are fabulous, as is the embossed wood grain - and anything with the "Alice" theme will always make me smile! Love that busy, rushing rabbit and the embossed script especially :-) Wonderful to see your pictures - always learn a lot from that! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous Anne, I love Alice in Wonderland and I love your vibrant use of colour too. The wood grain is very effective. Hugs. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi hunny sorry not been over for a while but,things been bit,hectic,anyway we are now friends on FB too,hun so I can hopefully keep in touch better. Your work I see is as stunning as ever always love how you show us the step by step,the finished,piece is just stunning hun so love,the wood grain effect and colours,hugs Cherylxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog. I really do appreciate your comments and will always do my best to return them.

Annie x