Monday, 10 February 2014

Tutorial - Time Travel on a Canvas

Hi Everyone and a warm welcome to new followers :-)
Had a great few days in London with visits to Harrods, Portobello Market and the cinema, which was in a small lounge and you were served drinks and a meal, whilst reclining on a lazy boy chair.........awesome experience!!!!
As promised here is the 'How to' for yesterday's FSC GD post.

First of all I started with a 12" by 9" canvas which had been treated with gesso so I was able to use texture paste through a Tim Holtz Stencil, ( Measured) and a  Finnabair stencil without prepping. ( see below)

I then painted the whole of the canvas, including sides, with Bundled Sage Distress Paint.
Tim's Time Traveller cogs were stamped on to tissue paper in Archival Coffee ink. I adhered the tissue paper with Glue 'n' Seal in a matte finish.
The Time Traveller was stamped three times so that I could layer/decoupage him. I cut out the Sizzix Cabinet Die 4 times using Tim's Core'dinations paper cardstock, which I sanded, distressed and stencilled.
I used silicone to layer the dies as you can see below
The shelf was die cut using the Sizzix TH pediments die, which I trimmed to fit

I ran out of Idea-Ology metal cogs so used some Prima ones, which I inked with walnut Stain DI , topping them off  with Tim's metal cogs, which you can view further on. 
I used the Rusting Technique, using Crafty Notions Rusting Powder, Acrylic Wax and Vinegar, on the clock and cabinet die, which you can see if you look closely or enlarge the photo by tapping. 
The challenge was to use 3 stamps and below you can see the  TH stamps  that I used
Lots of Idea-Ology metal pieces to decorate the interior of the cabinet die, which was, sanded, rusted and stencilled with TH Dot Fade stencil
You can see the photos within the TH Idea-Ology  glass fragments much clearer in real life. 
For this I used Tim's technique from his Compendium of Curiosities, page 55. ( alcohol inks, blending solution and Glossy Accents to adhere)
The binoculars and chain are from my stash of findings. You can see below how I layered the TT stamp, which was coloured with various Distress Markers. ( just realised that the rusting on the weathered clock die is quite clear in this close up)
The clock is set at 12.17, which is when my son was born and his birthday is on the 6th so its quite a nostalgic piece. There is a little personalised message in the bottle and the die is adhered to show the 6 prominently.  More Idea-ology pieces complete the finished look. 

Thank You so much for all the wonderful comments I have received over the last few days and if there is anything else you wish to know just email me using the button on my sidebar. 

Take care and Best Wishes xx
post signature

19 comments:

  1. This is just fabulous, Annie!! I can't begin to tell you how much I love all the details! The cabinet card and all the details in it is amazing! And, so it's so nice that you commemorated your son's birthday. What a great keepsake for him. A really wonderful make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great step by step for this wonderful piece Annie! Love how you layered the TT and the cabinet die, it adds so much dimension and depth! I really love that window sill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely, thanks for sharing. Still think that stamp set is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, this is one fantastic travel project! I love all the layers, that cabinet shelf is so clever and then the binoculars is so cool! Congratulations on you GDT spot at FSC! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! I love how you made the background. And how cool that there is a message in the bottle. Love all of your details! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved watching this beautiful canvas unfold through your step by step instructions Annie, thanks for sharing the processes. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was lovely to how you put this beautiful creation together Annie. I just love the time traveller with the fabulous binoculars around his neck. I really must try stamping onto tissue, it looks wonderful on your canvas. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fabulous canvas Annie - and lovely to see your step by step. So many details you have created in all the little places. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great step by step for your fabulous canvas, Annie, thank you. And it sounds as though you had a wonderful trip to London!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely fabulous Annie!!!
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love this! The stencilled background with the cascading cogs and that shelf packed full of goodies are wonderful but my favourite bit is the way you've put the binoculars around the gentleman's neck! So clever. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm missing words, it's a breathtaking piece of art. So many details and great texture. Really LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just had to have a closer look at this fabulous canvas! Loads of gorgeous techniques and such creative use of the dies, both in construction and finishes . Love it ! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you had such a lovely trip.
    Wonderful details, I especially love the binoculars around his neck, that is such a fun detail and the way you decoupaged this image.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome canvas Annie, love your design and LO! And the steampunk idea, of course ;-) Thanks for dropping me a line, have a great weekend, hugs, Ira x
    Ira’s Crea Corner

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness what a stunning canvas, so much detail! All the texture and layering looks fabulous and a big thank you for the fab tutorial
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous, love the texture, 3D Dimension (cabinet) and the hanging binocular, great. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Miss Annie, well this is just a wonderful piece of ART WORK. the background is gorgeous all that cog heaven, the cabinet piece is fantastic, love it a lot, thanks for sharing it all...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog. I really do appreciate your comments and will always do my best to return them.

Annie x